|Image adapted from sketch3 by cncpt
- Start by visiting one of the more prominent and accurate aggregation sites, http://spokeo.com, and search for your name and city. Don't be shocked if there is a ton of information about you.
- Once you find yourself, copy the URL of the page you are on. This is your profile URL.
- Then, go to the very bottom of the page and click on "Privacy." It may be small and hard to find, but it is down there.
- Follow the directions to remove your profile (if you wish to do so).
- Be sure to search different variations of your name and cities you've lived in. You may have more than one profile.
Now for the bad news: This is not the only aggregation site out there. They pop up from time to time because the information they are gathering is public in one form or another, and people pay good money for information. If you are truly concerned by so much of your information being available online, I recommend you set up alerts for your name, email address, and mailing address, as well as anything else you want to keep an eye out for on the net. Any time Google sees a site with that information, it will notify you.
If you find this useful, be sure to share it with others, and let me know what you think in the comments below.